Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Docker and nuBuilder advice

Questions related to installing, updating, setting up and configuring
wells
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Docker and nuBuilder advice

Unread post by wells »

As a brand-new nuBuilder user, I am interested in creating a Docker image for installing our nuBuilder app. The reason for looking at Docker is that it should make it easier to distribute our nuBuilder app to teams that have no experience with Linux. (I understand that nuBuilder can be installed on MS Windows, but eventually we want to pair nuBuilder with another Linux app, docassemble.)

Docker is also a new environment for me. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions or descriptions of your experience with nuBuilder and Docker.

My specific issue at the moment is figuring out whether and how to install the nuBuilder prerequites and nuBuilder all in one Docker container or in multiple containers. It seems that one container would make sense, but I am unsure.

I don't have our nuBuilder app up and running yet, so I'm free to experiment with Docker or even with another approach that may be better. Thanks!
wells

Re: Docker and nuBuilder advice

Unread post by wells »

After a bit more research and learning, I understand that typically a Docker container should contain just one app. See: https://linuxhint.com/lxd-vs-docker/

I am guessing that Brian Mullen (bmullen), in his excellent post on installing nuBuilder, How to install nuBuilder on Ubuntu 18.04, chose LXD over Docker at least in part because it handles multiple apps in a simpler manner than Docker. I am going to give LXD a shot!
apmuthu

Unread post by apmuthu »

Multiple subdomains can manage multiple nuBuilder apps safely.
All apps can co-exist in the same docker image.

The DocAssemble is a fine program indeed.
@ Github]
It is written in Python and uses MSSQL server.
It needs a WSGI to run.
It has a PHP embedder for WordPress.
It allows the use of markdown for formatting text.
wells

Unread post by wells »

@apmuthu Thank you very much for the reply. I am excited to get nuBuilder working and hope to connect it with docassemble eventually.