Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Browser compatability problems

dgoadby

Browser compatability problems

Unread post by dgoadby »

NuBuilder seems to have been written to run under IE7. I use Firefox 3 and there are a number of areas where the user interface in compromised. My users have Asus netbooks running Linux and, of course, Firefox, so it is a problem for me already. I guess it will be a problem for a number of users too particularly in Europe where Firefox holds >30% of the browser market (depending on who you ask but it is popular)

These are the problems I have found thus far:

1) New windows,which are created in new tabs in IE7, are created in new instances of Firefox. This gives the user a lot of open browser windows after a while which will deplete resources on notebooks. The screen gets awfully untidy too! Thankfully, Close All does work!

2) In the After Save text box you cannot access the last rows of the box no matter what you do with the scroll bar. This makes changing the contents almost impossible. I tried this in IE6 and the scrollbox is ok but, of course, it doesn't have tabs.

I am quite happy to add browser dependent JavaScript code once I have sorted out where most of it is generated. Is there a formal method of contributing this to the project or do I just upload the code changes?
Regards

David Goadby (North Wales, UK)
michael

Re: Browser compatability problems

Unread post by michael »

The new windows which nuBuilder creates are all popup windows. Firefox's configuration dialog box does not allow you to override how it handles popup windows, however, you can change the settings by going to about:config and changing the option browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction to 0. This will make popup windows open in new tabs if you have configured Firefox to open new pages in tabs.

A lot of the incompatability issues with Firefox have been fixed since the 09.06.10 release, including the After Save text box. These fixes will be available in the next release.

Any contributions to nuBuilder would be welcomed. Please email any changed files to admin@nubuilder.com so that we can test the changes before merging them with the nuBuilder source repository.
dgoadby

Unread post by dgoadby »

Thanks Michael that did the trick! Luckily Firefox is configured to open pop-ups in new tabs already so it was quite painless really.

Not wishing to be pushy, but how long until the next release?

Regards

David.
Regards

michael

Unread post by michael »

The next release should be available by C.O.B. Thursday, Adelaide time.
michael

Unread post by michael »

Due to unforeseen delays, the next release date has been moved to C.O.B. Friday, Adelaide time.

The nuBuilder SVN repositories on SourceForge and Berlios are updated immediately when nuBuilder code is changed. You can always get the latest version there, rather than waiting for the next official release. However, most of the fixes for Firefox users have been in the sample site styles rather than the nuBuilder code. The styles can be accessed from the Setup tab, and the nuBuilder wiki has a section describing the default styles.
dgoadby

Unread post by dgoadby »

Hi Michael,

I will go there and have a closer look. Thanks

Regards

David
Regards

michael

Unread post by michael »

The latest release has been uploaded. You can download it from either the nuBuilder homepage to directly from the SourceForge project page. This release contains the latest version of the code and two updated sample sites which are more compatible with Firefox.
pcmsoft

Unread post by pcmsoft »

Hi all,

Is there any trick to nuBuilder support to Chrome?

Best regards,

Pablo
steven

Unread post by steven »

Pablo,

nuBuilder works in chrome at the moment but we are in the process of making it run in html strict mode, which will standardize the way it looks in most browsers.
These changes are only about a week away!

If you have problems, it might ne popups are blocked in chrome.

regards

Steven
If you like nuBuilder, how about leaving a nice review on SourceForge?
pcmsoft

Unread post by pcmsoft »

Hi Steven,

Somewhere there is a detail of the changes and developments introduced in version 10.04.20?

regards,

Pablo