Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Active Development?

wolf_GA

Active Development?

Unread post by wolf_GA »

Just looking at the activity in the forums and I'm curious about the activity level. I'm looking for a PIM solution, and finally realized that I just need to build my own database. I really don't like Access, but there aren't very many usable (and fairly simple) alternatives. I could just set up my own MySQL database and build a PHP/JavaScript solution on top of that, but I got out of programming for a reason. :)

So, I guess, what's the roadmap, do you guys have a firm plan to move forward, do you actually have a way to make a little money off this so you can keep it going?

Thanks!

-Wolf
steven

Re: Active Development?

Unread post by steven »

wolf_GA

Good question.

I developed nuBuilder about 5 years ago. We decided to make it open source nearly exacty a year ago.
nuBuilder is quite a bit different than other open source products because we have developed this in house at nuSoftware, to use with our own clients.
I've done this for 2 reasons.
1-Its allows us to create/alter applications much much faster than from scratch.
2-I can switch a developer between projects or bring new developers on with a very short learning curve.

It has a lot to do with turning programming into a procedure (which is talked about in the E-Myth http://www.amazon.com/E-Myth-Revisited- ... 0887307280)

The main reason we have made it open source is so that clients know that if they later want to host it themselves they can do so with out any licencing fees.
Neither are they locked into using us forever if they dont want to (its a great selling point for risk management).
As you probably know we have video tutorials a wiki and this forum for anyone wanting to learn themselves.

We will be looking at training in the future as a revenue stream but will continue developing it for ourselves regardless.

Our latest release 10.04.20 http://sourceforge.net/projects/nubuilder/files/ is now avaliable (which added a bit of AJAX - when I first created nuBuilder there was no such thing as AJAX so I had to use invisible frames)
but we still have a long list things we want to add.

Steven
If you like nuBuilder, how about leaving a nice review on SourceForge?
cypherinfo

Unread post by cypherinfo »

Hello, another good thing to add to nuBuilder would be an intuitive query builder as here:

http://ajax.easyquerydemo.com/

You would be the first cross platform web application to do that!!

Thank you.

Cypherinfo.
Last edited by cypherinfo on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolf_GA

Unread post by wolf_GA »

Steven,

Thanks for the follow up. I'm not familiar with E-Myth, but I can say that I've worked with my share of small companies that didn't make it. I got out of GA Tech in '96 and in those years, been with 3 companies that were sub-20 people. 1 is still floundering along after over 10 years, but still less than 10 people and likely never to grow, another went down due to CEO incompetence, and the last went down due to CFO malfeasance. Now I'm with a company of over 300 and it's feels huge to me. :) It was also my chance to finally move from Programming to a Technical PM role.

Anyway, I like the idea of helping clients feel like a primary risk is mitigated by building in an open system that should be fairly straightforward for any programmer to pick up.

I do plan to go through the videos when I have a little more time. I work with a lot of direct Clients, and can barely keep everything straight, thus the need for a better organizing system than just notes and Outlook.

Thanks,

-wolf_GA