Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

MS Access and nuBuilder

idn

MS Access and nuBuilder

Unread post by idn »

Hi,

Congratulations to nuBuilder!

I am a new user, and I would like to ask you if you can describe the steps I need to do in order to be able to use my old MS Access database tables/data within the nuBuilder environmet.
In other words, what is to do If I would like to migrate a local MS Access database to a web-based database on my website which is already manageable using nuBuilder?

Thanks!
steven

Re: MS Access and nuBuilder

Unread post by steven »

idn,

I guess there are 4 main things you need to do to convert an MS Access Database to nuBuilder.
  • 1-Import the data.
    2-Make sure your Primary Key and Foreign Keys for each table conform to nuBuilder requirements.
    3-Create the nuBuilder Forms you will require to search and edit the data.
    4-Create the nuBuilder Reports you will require to view and print the data.
If you have mySQL loaded on your PC, importing the data can be done simply using ODBC.
The MS Access driver will already be installed but you will need to install the mysql driver from here (if you dont have it) http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.1.html.

We had a question earlier relating to the required structure of tables for nuBuilder which should answer this http://forums.nubuilder.cloud/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42#p93.

3/4
Sadly there is no way to bring across any forms or reports you have, because MS Access and nuBuilder's architecture is so different.
But we believe you'll find that 95 % or more of what you can do in Access can be done (and done simpler and ultimately faster) in nuBuilder.
Because even thought. when building forms, objects are not dragged and dropped, they are easily cloned. And when you create a Form you are also creating a robust, simple Search Screen as a part of it.

Let us know how you go!

Steven
If you like nuBuilder, how about leaving a nice review on SourceForge?