Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Controlling form field placement

mkingston

Controlling form field placement

Unread post by mkingston »

When you define a form field object for a form, I understand how to make two or more fields align vertically with each other. However, I have a need to control the line number and relative position of fields. For example, I have 6 fields. The first two fields must appear on the first line and the other 4 must appear on the second line, following each other consecutively. If I give the first two objects columns 10 and 20, with order number of 10 and 20, respectively, and then give the next 4 fields columns 10, 20, 30, 40 and order numbers of 30, 40, 50, 60, respectively, I get fields 1, 2, 5, and 6 on the first line and fields 3 and 4 on another line. Also, if the titles have spaces in them, they are stacked on separate lines, ahead of the field object itself.

I've attached a screen shot of the objects list for form MSS1000, so you can see what I mean. Fields cust_acct_type and cust_acct_desc should appear on the first line and the others should appear below them on the second line.

Is it possible to control where these objects appear on the form?

Thanks,

Merrill
Attachments
ObjectsOrder.zip
(29.26 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
steven

Re: Controlling form field placement

Unread post by steven »

Merrill,

All objects on a tab (apart from subforms and buttons) sit in a html table - 2 columns for each row , the first for the caption, the second for the field.

Spacing them can be done be creating the control type 'Word' and putting html <br/> or &nbsp; etc to resize columns and rows, but as they sit in a html table, objects can't be staggered (half in one column, half in another).

In a screen like your 'Sales Order Maintenance' Form (from your zip file) the way we would handle recreating this is by putting Testing Requirements and Additional Services on separate Tabs, this allows each Tab to look less busy but also gives you more real estate for adding more features for each Tab (and this Form in general) in the future.

This also makes it much easier to neatly set out of these objects within each Tab.

Steven

PS we will get to answer your other questions soon.
If you like nuBuilder, how about leaving a nice review on SourceForge?
mkingston

Thanks, Steven. I'll try out your suggestions. I have been playing around a little with Adobe Flex Builder, which uses mxml, and there's something called "HBOX", which acts like a container to separate textinput fields, so they can be grouped together.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help. I'm beginning to wonder if you guys ever sleep!

Merrill
steven

Unread post by steven »

Merrill,
It turns out one of the guys here (Jeff) has done something like what your'e asking.

by using nuBuilder 'html' objects between other objects.

like..

Code: Select all

</td>
                    </tr>

</table>
            </td>
        </tr>
    </table><table class='selected'><tr class='selected'><td class='selected'><table class='selected'><tr class='selected'><td class='selected'>&nbsp;</td><td class='selected' width=900 style='text-align:left'>Please describe what happened / or your concerns as accurately as possible, including what you were doing at the time of the incident / event and name of any witnessses (if applicable)

Attachments
The Screen and the objects that make it.
The Screen and the objects that make it.
bendnuBuilder.png (234.78 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
If you like nuBuilder, how about leaving a nice review on SourceForge?
mkingston

Thanks Steve, I'll give it a try.

Merrill