Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Version 2.7.1 field displaying "textarea" with cangrow

anorman

Version 2.7.1 field displaying "textarea" with cangrow

Unread post by anorman »

Hi,

First let me compliment you on version 2.7.1. Overall, the system seems more predictable and the new features are excellent!

Also, the report writer seems much improved, in that the results on an HTML report and a PDF report seem much more in step with each other.

I have found two issues with a field that is set to "can grow" that is displaying a textarea in the database with multiple lines that seem to apply to both the HTML and PDF report, and one issue that seems to be specific to the PDF version.

The two "common" issues:

1.) If the textarea has quotation marks in it, the data is printed out with \\ before the quotation mark (\\")

2.) I have a field that is set to "can grow". It typically is 4-5 lines long.. About 8 lines below this field are 3 labels. Oddly, when I put the field in "can grow" mode, it pushes the "labels" below it down by as many lines as it grows by. (Actually, this is located on a page header section, and the labels are at the very bottom of the page header.. It pushes the labels down and extends the header length).. I then tried creating the can grow field with 5 lines, and turning off can grow. It then displays \r\n.. So, I turned can grow back on, but left the dimensions of the field 5 lines long (as this is the expected length), so under most circumstances the field itself would not have to "grow", as it is already defined. That had no effect. A final note on this issue is that I am printing out a report with multiple pages.. This problem ONLY occurs on the first page.. All the other pages the labels below the can grow field are in the correct position..

The issue specific to the PDF version with "can grow" fields:

1.) If can grow is enabled and the textarea has multiple "blank lines" in a row (\r\n\r\n), it seems to actually print out "double" on the pdf report.. 2 lines become 4 blank lines etc..

Thank you again for all your hard work!!!!!
admin
Site Admin
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Re: Version 2.7.1 field displaying "textarea" with cangrow

Unread post by admin »

Andre,

I appreciate your appreciation.

I'll look into these things for you.

Steven
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

Andre,

See if you can break these changes...
productionnu2.zip
(19.38 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Steven
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

Hi Steven,

The quotes problem is fixed on both html and pdf!

The "can grow" problem and the PDF "double spacing" issue persists :-(
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

Steven,

Some more information (Don't know if it is relevant or not)..

I have changed the default "report properties" to 800x900,LETTER,P [This was/is the first step I do in creating any report, since A4 sizes don't print out correctly for me here in the US on LETTER paper]

I did notice that if I place controls on the report near the far right edge, in some cases the PDF version would "chop" it off.. So I found a geometry that seems to make it so I cannot go too far to "chop" off anything.. Also, being here in the USA, I went to LETTER .vs. A4 so the paper really is 11" long..

Another thing I noticed just now, which I think is an improvement from the "old" version before I placed the patches you created for me into the system, is that the PDF version seems to clobber some text at times. Specifically, at the VERY BOTTOM RIGHT of the report it prints out "1 of 36" "2 of 36" etc.. About every 3rd page marker is missing, and then there are some that are only "1/2" there or less (Remnants of the letters)..

I did notice that some of those "page markers" were completely missing before the patches, but forgot to mention it.. However, I never saw any "remnants" of those like I am now..

Let me know if you need to see this, or if this is a separate issue altogether..

- Andre
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

Steven,

Interesting new development with the patches you supplied me..

If I set the field to "Can grow" = false, the very first instance of the data (Page 1) prints out perfectly on the HTML form.. (it interprets \r\n correctly, and the labels below the field are where they should be)..

On the PDF version of the report, it too interprets the \r\n correctly, and the labels below the field are also in their correct position.. The only issue is that it looks like the data in the field is shifted up.. It is actually starting to output the data slightly above where the field is defined in the report -- in this case, it is actually overwriting data from the field located above it on the report..

IN BOTH instances, however, pages 2 and on are broken, in that the field no longer interprets \r\n correctly, and instead prints out \r\n whenever they occur in the field..

Additionally, it looks like the PDF version doesn't even respect the boundries defined by the field itself; It just prints everything as one line going stopping at the right edge of the report..

On the HTML version, it does respect the physical boundries of the field as defined by the report, and at least 'wraps' the text to the next line in the field..

Let me know if you want me to attach pictures, as I hope I'm explaining this well enough, but not sure..

- Andre
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

Steven,

Another strange thing, may be related, I am not sure..

If the report is only supposed to be 1 page long (I.E. the data is enough to fit on a single page), it actually creates 2 pages.. The first page with all the proper data, and then a 'second' blank page with only the page header/footer filled in.

The report is actually an invoice, with the 'center section' of the report each itemized item..

In this case, there is only 1 item, so the entire invoice fits on a single page..

It fills in the page header properly, then does the 'detail' section of the itemized items, then it adds the 'section' footer (sorted on Invoice number -- there is only 1 invoice number ever, but I needed to do that so I could use the sum function when more than one itemized item was contained within the invoice) which is nothing more than a sum line and total..

Now the really interesting part..

On the HTML form, it never prints the page footer.. On the PDF version, it DOES print the page footer..

Then, in both cases, it creates a 2nd page with no 'detail' or 'section footer', only a page header (filled in with proper data) and a page footer (again, filled in with proper data) on BOTH THE HTML and PDF versions of the form!

Have I thoroughly confused you yet with my attempts at explaining all this to you? :-(

If you want pictures/database tables etc let me know, and just tell me how to extract the proper data tables/rows from the database for you..

- Andre
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

Andre,

You wrote
anorman wrote:Steven,

Another strange thing, may be related, I am not sure..

If the report is only supposed to be 1 page long (I.E. the data is enough to fit on a single page), it actually creates 2 pages.. The first page with all the proper data, and then a 'second' blank page with only the page header/footer filled in.
Does this change if you change the report height?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (10.68 KiB) Viewed 10703 times
If you could send me a zipped up file with all the db tables I'll have a look at the other things for you.

Steven
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

The simple answer is NO, it does not fix it.

The complicated answer is that it seems to break more stuff. Specifically, by setting it to 825x1020xA4 from 800x900xLETTER it oddly now cuts off the right hand of the report (Seems to shorten the width of the output by a few characters??)..

Anyway, I can just send you the entire database.. However, I'd prefer not to post it here since it has some live data in it.. Is there an email address or something I can send it to you with, or I can put it up on a website with a link??

Thanks again,
- Andre
anorman

Unread post by anorman »

Well [he says blushing],

I fixed the "second page" deal above.. I went in and looked at the report again.. At one point I had a page break after the invoice number footer.. I thought I had taken that out, but apparently forgot to hit save :-(

That fixes the first page footer not printing issue..

The other issues still persist.. I owe you a steak at the outback steak house [It's an Australian steak house chain here in the USA]. Of course, you'd have to come to the states for me to make good on that one.. But if you ever get to Connecticut (or even close, New York City is not far away) , a steak is waiting !