Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

'Name cannot be left blank' when running a report

JohnKlassen

'Name cannot be left blank' when running a report

Unread post by JohnKlassen »

Hi,

I am creating my first report and am having problems getting any output. I started by clicking on Setup  Add Activities  Add Record  All tab.

I entered a code of ‘PEOPLERPT’, description of ‘People List’, Group was blank, Type was ‘Report’ and Selection Criteria Form was set to ‘Blank’.

I then clicked on the ‘Report’ tab and entered the following PHP Code

Code: Select all

$sql  = "CREATE TABLE #dataTable# SELECT * from people" ;
nuRunQuery($sql);
I left Display Type as ‘HTML & PDF’ and clicked on ‘Report Builder’ button. I clicked in the ‘Detail’ section and then on the ‘New Object’ tab. In the Object Properties pop-up, I entered ‘peo_name’ for the field name, hit ‘Enter’ and clicked on the ‘X’ for Object Properties. ‘peo_name’ was displayed in the Detail section. I then clicked on the ‘Copy Changes’ tab. On the previous screen, I clicked on the ‘Save’ button.

I went back to the Setup Tab and clicked on the ‘Run Activity’ button. I clicked on ‘PEOPLERPT’ in the browse form. When I clicked on the ‘Print to Screen’ button, I got a message that said,
‘Name’ cannot be left blank
. I assume this is because I had set ‘Selection Criteria form’ to ‘Blank’.

How do I get around this problem? The video tutorial said to use ‘blank’ or a form where fields in a report were turned on. I saw one reference in the forum with this error. The suggestion was to change the value of a field in a system table to ‘0’ based on a primary key value but it was not clear which row needed the value changed.

What do you suggest?

John
admin
Site Admin
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Re: 'Name cannot be left blank' when running a report

Unread post by admin »

John,

Upgrade to build v2.8.1-12.12.19-Build554.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I already am on build 554.

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

Have you run the schema changes, because that fixes the Cannot be left blank problem.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

When I went to Build 554, I started from scratch. I replaced both the productionnu2 and the db directory. I thought I had used the latest version of sample.sql to build the database before adding my own tables.

When I hover the mouse over the 'Powered by nuBuilder' at the bottom of the Setup form, it does show build 554.

Is there a way to see if I have the schema change?

Thanks,

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

Hovering over that spot is the way to tell

So I don't know what's wrong.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I did the following to test the ‘Name cannot be blank’ error.

- Once again I downloaded the Build 554 zip file from the link on the Nubuilder web site
- Unzipped the zip file
- Removed all previous Build 554 directories and files under the www directory
- Moved db directory and productionnu2 directory and all files from zipped file to www directory
- Copied /db/sample to /db/sampledb
- Created a database called sampledb
- Commented out the first 4 lines in sample.sql
- Imported sample.sql into sampledb
- Checked zzsys_setup to make sure it pointed to Build554
- Checked that sob_text_no blanks in zzsys_object table for zzsys_object_id = ‘145997277e1114’ was = 0
- Modified config.php to point to sampledb
- Started NuBuilder
- I created a report from a simple table with only 3 fields as described in my previous post.
- I still got the same error.

Am I correct in that after I select the report to run, that I should click on the ‘Print to Screen’ button? That is when I get the error. I also clicked on ‘Print to PDF and ‘Email PDF’ and got the same error.

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

Run this.

Code: Select all

update zzsys_object set sob_text_no_blanks = '0' where sob_text_no_blanks = '1' and  zzsys_object_id = '145997277e1114';

See if that works.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I ran the SQl update. Since the value was already a '1', it did not update any rows.

I tested the report again and i still get the error.

Is there a workaround until we figure out what the problem is?

Thanks for our efforts.

John
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I just tried to run some reports in Samplenubuilder and noticed it also gives me the error about 'Name cannot be blank'. I checked to make sure it was Build 554 and that zzsys_object sob_text_no_blanks was = '0' for zzsys_object_id = '145997277e1114' in table zzsys_object. I also hovered the mouse on the bottom line in samplenubuilder and it does say it is Build 554. I cannot see the output of reports in samplenufinancial to understand what the report builder is doing which I was hoping would give me some ideas.

Right now I am creating a report by using the form wizard to select the fields from a table and specifying that report criteria is set to 'yes'. Although this works, it is cumbersome and creates new problems including showing all of the field names when I do a 'Run Activity' and choose that report'.

I have a number of reports to create and this is really slowing me down.

Are other users having this problem with Build 554 on Windows?

Thanks,

John