Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Need examples of using nuDebug to display values

JohnKlassen

Need examples of using nuDebug to display values

Unread post by JohnKlassen »

Hi,

I am creating some reports that require some extra logic including determining the number of days between a date in a row and today. In order to debug my logic, I want to use nuDebug. I have gone through every reference to nuDebug in the forum, wiki and the video tutorials and I am still confused on how to use nuDebug. Can you give some examples of how I would display values? Normally I would use 'echo' but than is not an option.

For example, once I select some records and load them into #dataTable#, I want to calculate the number of days between the date defined in the row and today. I think the command to calculate age would be the following:
$age = DATEDIFF(NOW(), 'date_entered')
What I want to know is how do I set up a loop to process all of the rows in #dataTable# and secondly, how do I display the value of $age (above) for each row using nuDebug.

I do understand that the output of nuDebug is in the zzsys_trap table.

I appreciate your help.

John
admin
Site Admin
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Re: Need examples of using nuDebug to display values

Unread post by admin »

John,

You shouldn't have to loop through your #dataTable#.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE #dataTable# SELECT transaction.*, DATEDIFF(NOW(), tra_date) AS thedays FROM transaction

So you now have a table with all of transaction and an extra field called thedays.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

Thanks for the code suggestion. It worked great.

But... I still need to understand how to debug my code. Most of the code I need to write is either going into the 'PHP Code' section for a report or I will use it in a form. If I am writing it for a report, I want to display the values of various fields to test whether I am doing it right. With the example you gave me it is easy to test because all I have to do is display the value of 'thedays' in my report. But this report and several more like it get more complicated. The row in the table has 5 date fields: date_1 through date_5. These date fields are used to track when notices are sent out to a tenant. There will always be a value in date_1 but there may not be a value in any of the other date fields. On the other hand, if there is a value in, for example, date_4, there will also be a value in date-1 through date_3. In addition to calculating the number of days from today to date_1, I also need to determine which is the most recent date in the 5 date fields and calculate the numbers of days for that date field.

I was thinking of using some 'If, Then' logic or CASE logic to determine the most recent date. For this reason and for other planned logic in other reports, I was hoping to get an example of how I could loop through a table.

I also wanted examples of how to use nuDebug. In a report scenario, the only place I can display values while testing is in the actual report. nuDebug offers an alternative.

I thought of doing my testing by writing a PHP script, storing it in webroot and then running the script in a browser. That way I can use 'echo'. The problem there is how to get the php script to use nuBuilder functions such as nuRunQuery, etc.

So... I would appreciate any suggestions you have on testing. I would also appreciate any examples of using nuDebug.

Thanks,

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

A simple loop through a table might look like this...

Doing this in an Activity Procedure will mean you can just echo results to the screen.

If you use nuDebug($r->tranasction_id) your parameter will be stored in the zzsys_trap table in the field called tra_message.

Code: Select all

$s = CREATE TABLE #dataTable# SELECT * FROM transaction";
$t = nuRunQuery($s);

while($r = db_fetch_object($t)){

$sql = UPDATE #dataTable# SET tra_total = $r->tra_amount + $r->tra_tax WHERE transaction_id = 'transaction_id'";

nuRunQuery($sql);

}

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

Thank-you. This is exactly what I was looking for. A place to practice PHP and SQL and get immediate feedback through echo and nuDebug().

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

my pleasure.