Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Lookup not working in Edit Form

JohnKlassen

Lookup not working in Edit Form

Unread post by JohnKlassen »

Hi,

I just created my first lookup fields in an edit form. As you can see below, I created lookup fields for 'Unit' and 'Violation'.
Lookup fields in Edit Form
Lookup fields in Edit Form
Lookup_Fields_in_Add_Record.jpg (69.93 KiB) Viewed 9084 times
This works really well when I am using 'Add Record'. On the other hand, when I am in the 'Browse' form and click on an existing record to go to the 'Edit' form, the 'Unit' and 'Violation' fields do not display their contents.

How do I set it up so that if I click on 'Add Record', the lookup fields work but if I just click on a record in the 'Browse' form, that all of the contents in the 'Edit' form are displayed?

Thanks,

John
admin
Site Admin
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Re: Lookup not working in Edit Form

Unread post by admin »

John,

Check the Field names match those in mysql.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

Let me try to explain it better. When I am in the browse screen, I have 2 options. I can click on a record in the browse screen and display the information for just that record. The other choice is that while I am in the browse screen, I can click on the 'add record' button and get the same form but instead of displaying the record or making changes, I can create a new record. I am trying to use the same form for 'adding' a record and for just displaying the record. The difference is that when I click on 'Add Record', I want to use the lookup fields in the form but when I just click on a record in the browse screen, I don't want to see the 2 lookup fields. I just want the form to display all fields without leaving the lookup fields blank.

The problem I have is the top 2 fields are lookup fields whether I am just displaying a record or adding a record. (Lookup fields are initially blank and don't display the contents of those fields from the browse form.) Do I need to use separate forms for when I want to display a record vs adding a record? If yes, how do I specify that 'Add record' points to a different form than the regular edit form?

Thanks,

John
zazzium

Unread post by zazzium »

you could add a button object below the lookup
and add the openForm function to "On Double Click" for the button

Code: Select all

openForm('the_formID_u_want_to_open','the_lookup_id_value')

eg.

openForm("15068dacd778e4",$("#unit_id").val());

zazzium
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

I still don't quite understand, do you just want to hide some fields in one case and display them in another?

Maybe some screen grabs might help me understand.

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I hope these screenshots will help display the issue.

In each case I start with the browse form for my violations table.
Normal browse form
Normal browse form
Violations Browse Form.jpg (32.3 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
At this time, I have 2 choices. I can click on a row and display the edit/display form or I can click on 'Add Record' and add a record. If I click on the first row in the browse form, I get the following results:
Normal results when clicking on a row in the browse form.
Normal results when clicking on a row in the browse form.
Normal results when clicking on row in browse form.jpg (73.74 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
If I go back to the browse form and click on the 'Add Record' button
Choose Add Record button
Choose Add Record button
Violations Browse Form - Choose Add Record.jpg (31.4 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
I get the edit/display form where all fields are blank.
Add Record form where fields are still text
Add Record form where fields are still text
Add Record form with 'Text' fields.jpg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
Up to this point, 'Unit' and 'Violation' are defined as 'Text' fields.

Now I change the attributes for the 'unit' and violation' fields to 'Lookup' fields. When I go back to 'Add Record', the form still has all blank fields but the 'unit' and 'violations' fields have magnifying glasses showing they are lookup fields.
Add Record form with lookup fields
Add Record form with lookup fields
Add Record Form with 2 Lookup Fields.jpg (60.9 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
Everything is still fine until I go back to the browse form and click on the first record. Since 'unit' and 'violations' are defined as lookup fields instead of 'Text' fields, you can no longer see the the contents of the first two fields.
Lookup fields prevent display of first 2 fields
Lookup fields prevent display of first 2 fields
click on browse item should not display lookup fields.jpg (76.9 KiB) Viewed 9060 times
Is it possible to use the same edit/display form where if you click on the 'Add Record' button, it uses the 'lookup' fields but if you just click on a record in the browse form, it uses 'text' fields for 'unit' and violation'? Or do I need to create a separate form and separate button like zazzium suggests? If I need a separate form with lookup fields, can I tie it to the 'Add Record button? If yes, how do I do that?

Thanks,

John
admin
Site Admin

Unread post by admin »

John,

Sorry for asking for a second lot of shots, I forgot you had already supplied some.

This is what you need to do, for each field, create 2, one Lookup that has the same fieldname as in the table and one Display that has a different fieldname.

and create different Display conditions for each..
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (14.61 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
-hide when new record (Display)

SELECT IF('#id#' = '-1', '0','1')
-show when new record (Lookup)

SELECT IF('#id#' = '-1', '1','0')

The SQL for the Display Object will be something like this..

SELECT CONCAT(unit, ' - ', violation) FROM violation
INNER JOIN  violation_type ON violation_type_id = vio_violation_type_id
WHERE violation_id = '#id#'
Something like that..

Steven
JohnKlassen

Steven,

I like your suggestion and I know what to do with the first part.

As you know by now, I am still learning PHP, MySQL and NuBuilder. I need some additional information about the last section of your post. When you say to put the SQL in the 'Display Object', are you talking about the Violations form? If so, where? I need more detail.

Could you also explain the SQL at the bottom of your post? Since there are 2 lookup fields, are you concatenating both of them in the SELECT CONCAT statement? In the INNER JOIN statement, can you explain the different variables so I know what to substitute for them?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

John
massiws

Unread post by massiws »

John,
I read several times your post, and I'm not sure to understood, but I have a similar situation in my project and I don't get any problem.

I have two table: client and request in relation 1:n; the relation is performed with lookup object on the request form.
This is the SQL on request form:

SELECT * FROM request INNER JOIN (client, request_status) 
ON (req_cli_id = cli_id AND req_rqs_id = rqs_id) 
This is the browse screen:
Browse screen
Browse screen
browseScreen.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
If I click on "Add new record" button I get this:
Edit screen inserting a new record
Edit screen inserting a new record
EditScreenNew.png (9.27 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
If I click an existing record from browse screen I get this:
Edit screen editing an existing record
Edit screen editing an existing record
EditScreenEdit.png (15.34 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
as you can see, all data are displayed on the form, including data in lookup object, so I also may edit this value.

This is the lookup object:
Lookup object settings
Lookup object settings
lookupObj.png (34.78 KiB) Viewed 9043 times
No special settings on the object: nuBuilder make all the job!

I hope this helps.
Max
JohnKlassen

Hi,

I am finally back to this part of my project and still don't have it working. Once again, I am trying to use the same field in a form as a lookup and as text. I tried Max's suggestion and at first it looked like it worked. Then I tried to add a record and clone a record. I also had a report that uses formvalue to pick up the unit value. None of the above worked until I returned everything to a text field with the original values.

Now I am back to Steven's suggestion and I still have some questions. Here they are:

First, how do you create a text field AND a lookup field that point to the same field in the form. Don't you have to specify one OR the other when you are in the 'All' tab.

Second, I still need an explanation of the SQL that you gave me:

SELECT CONCAT(unit, ' - ', violation) FROM violation
INNER JOIN  violation_type ON violation_type_id = vio_violation_type_id
WHERE violation_id = '#id#'
To simplify the situation, let's assume that I am only working with the 'building_unit' field in the form. It is 'unit_building_unit' in the 'unit' table and 'vio_building_unit' in the 'violation' table. I will extrapolate from what I learn to use for the other field in the form that I want a lookup for.

Why are you concatenating 'unit' and 'violation'?

Do I have to have a foreign key in the violations table that has the same value as the primary key for the corresponding building_unit in the violations table? If yes, I already have that working.

Assuming that the only fields I need are 'unit_id' and 'unit-building_unit' in the 'unit' table and 'violations_id', 'vio_building_unit' and possibly 'vio_unit_id' in the violations table, how should I write the above SQL statement?

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

John