Welcome to the nuBuilder forums!

Please register and login to view forums and other content only available to registered users.

Multiple select using Listbox

Richsurvey

Multiple select using Listbox

Unread post by Richsurvey »

Hi,

I'm using a listbox object for a multiple select value. Everything is working fine (SQL query, saving to database and displaying works).

My issue is that I want it to be easily readable on the Browse screen. Based on the document here: http://wiki.nubuilder.net/nubuilderv3/i ... istbox_Tab

The multiple select listbox is "saved as a string delimited by #nuSep#" - which is what is happening, but I want it to be separated by a line break (<br>) on the Browse screen.

Also, is it not best to save the values in the database delimited using comma opposed to '#nuSep#'? - the delimited issue is not a big problem; I just want to make sure that later on I'm able to easily run a query on that field (e.g. see how many users selected Feb).

Example of what I'm doing and what is happing:
In the 'Listbox' Tab I have a very similar SQL statement: SELECT customer_id, cus_name FROM customer

cus_name has the following value:
Adam
David
Eve
Daniel
Jacob

If a user selects the first 3 names -> it gets saved in the database as: Adam#nuSep#David#nuSep#Eve (preferable I want it to be saved as Adam,David,Eve - BUT ONLY if it's easier to run a query on this later on).

In the Browse screen the values are displayed as Adam#nuSep#David#nuSep#Eve -> but I want it to be displayed like the following:
Adam
David
Eve

I've also read that maybe using a listbox for a multiple select might not be the best solution (suggestion was to use a Subform instead??)

Please let me know if there is a solution, but if not, any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
nuBuilder Version: 4.5

Re: Multiple select using Listbox

Unread post by admin »

Richsurvey,

nuBuilder will only save listboxes with #nuSep#.

If you want to manipulate this string you can use..

implode or explode in PHP

and join or split in javascript.

Steven